Student in the ME Global Student Pavilion

How can we help?

We're here to make the transfer process as easy as possible. If you have questions, reach out to us for help. You can start by checking out the questions below.

You can also email us at, or call (979) 230-3132 to speak to someone in the transfer center.

Understanding the Transfer Process

How do I know my credits will transfer?

The best way to know if credits will transfer is to contact the institution(s) you are thinking of transferring to. It’s never too early to contact the institution, even if you have several semesters before you transfer. It’s key to develop a relationship with advising and admissions departments and to coordinate your classes to transfer from Brazosport College. Another way to know is to look up websites of the institution you are thinking of going to and explore whether they have transfer guides for the major you are interested in. Transfer guides will sometimes contain information on what credits will transfer and what specific classes will be covered by what you are transferring. Another tool to use is TCCNS (Texas Common Course Numbering System, TCCNS is a website where classes can be compared between different Texas community colleges and universities to assist with questions on freshman and sophomore level general academic coursework.

Is there a limit on how many credits will transfer?

The limit on the number of credits that will transfer depends on the institution and the program, but the usual max is 60-66 credits (enough for an Associate’s Degree). Most state/public institutions will accept all core curriculum/general courses, but it can still be case-by-case if a student has not completed the core curriculum in its entirety. Some specialty programs (such as Nursing programs) may only accept classes from certain subjects. Institutions may accept that you are core curriculum complete but still have specific lower division classes they need you to complete for a specific degree.

How many hours do I need to transfer?

The number of hours an institution may require can be different from institution to institution. It can also differ between general admissions requirements and specific major requirements. The best way to determine this information is to contact the institution you are thinking of transferring to and connecting with someone in their admissions and/or advising departments. Transfer students will have criteria they have to meet for the general admissions office at institutions, and then specialty major/programs may have additional requirements. Admission departments may have a sliding scale that will tell you if you will be accepted as a transfer student and at what level (freshman, sophomore, etc.).

Example:  Sam Houston State University (

Admissions Requirements:

  • 0-11 transfer credits – Meet the Beginning Freshmen Admissions Requirements and have a 2.5 GPA on transferrable hours.
  • 12-17 transfer credits – Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • 18+ transfer credits – Minimum 2.0 GPA

What GPA do I need to transfer?

A university’s general admissions may require students to have a 2.0-2.5 GPA to be accepted. However,  additional specialty requirements (such as for the Business College at a university) may require a higher GPA.

Do I have to complete my Associate’s degree before I transfer?

It is not a requirement, but it is highly encouraged that the core curriculum be complete.

I’m taking dual credit classes and plan to go to a four-year institution right after I graduate from high school. Am I considered a transfer student?

If you continue for any additional semesters at Brazosport College after your high school graduation and then transfer, you will be considered a transfer student. If you go to another institution the fall semester after you graduate high school, then you will likely be considered a freshman for admission purposes no matter how many college credit hours you have completed. It is highly recommended that you contact the institution(s) you are considering transferring to early on to explore the requirements they have for admissions.

Can I transfer back classes from another institution to get an Associate’s degree from Brazosport College?

If a student has 24 credit hours completed at Brazosport College and then transfer to another institution before completing a degree, it’s possible for that student to do what’s called a “Reverse Transfer.” In a Reverse Transfer, students can send an official transcript from the institution they transferred to back to Brazosport College and possibly finish up their Associate’s degree.

Can I transfer any semester or only after the Fall/Spring semester?

When a student can transfer is often determined by if/when the transfer-institution has open enrollment. Some institutions have open enrollment. Some institutions have specific programs/majors that accept students only in the Fall or Spring/Winter semester. It is important to make contact early with the institutions the student is considering transferring to.

Will my Financial Aid transfer with me to the next institution?

Financial aid varies from institution to institution as well as student to student. It is highly encouraged that you speak with both the Financial Aid department at Brazosport College and at the institution you are transferring to determine Financial Aid availability.

Will the withdrawals I have on my transcript impact my chances of transferring to the university and program of my choice?

Withdrawals will not have an impact on general admissions requirements and criteria. Withdrawals look better than low and/or failing grades on a transcript. The circumstance of the withdrawals may be worthwhile explaining on applications when you apply for transfer, whether it be on an essay or additional information of the application. Not all institutions ask for information like that, but if they do, it’s a great opportunity to describe challenges and adversity you have faced while keeping up with classes and earning good grades. Withdrawals may become a factor for specialty programs (such as Nursing or Business, especially if they have additional application processes). One withdrawal on a transcript will not be considered concerning. If there is a pattern of withdrawals over several semesters, an institution may take notice.