Once every year, math enthusiasts honor one of the most revered mathematical constants in the world — the number 3.14, otherwise known as ‘pi’ — with its own day.
Celebrated on March 14, Pi Day has become known as a day of fun and festivities, often involving pies. Be it pie-eating contests, pie-baking events or even smashing a pie into someone’s face, Pi Day has proven to be a hit.
Last year, Brazosport College joined in on the celebration and, thanks to popular demand, the festivities will return better than ever this year.
Although this year’s Pi Day occurs during Spring Break, BC students will still be able to celebrate the big day in all its glory.
Slated for March 6, the final full day of classes before Spring Break, Brazosport College’s “Pre-Pi Day,” will have a number of events to not only celebrate the day, but also to promote the BC Student Success Center, which offers tutoring in math and other subjects.
Among the events scheduled for March 6 are:
· PIE-EATING CONTEST: Enter and compete to become this year’s pie-eating champion. Last year, BC’s own math tutor Tabitha Hardin squeezed out the win.
· THROW A PIE IN THE FACE: Visit the Student Success Center to receive a ticket for a chance to pie a BC employee in the face. Fourteen people have volunteered to take pies to the face, including Nicole Tunmire, Sasha Tarrant, Antonio Zamorano, Cassandra Gonzalez, Barry Foster, Rachel Cloeter, Matt Siebert, Cassie Bruner, Daryl Beatty, Isaiah Schauer, Cliff O’Neal, Dustin Doddroe, Kaylan Johnson and Robert Ramirez.
· HOMEMADE PIE CONTEST: Enter one or more pies in the homemade pie contest and see if you can earn the title of “Best Pie on Campus.” BC staffer Cindy Ulrich is the reigning champion. Entries will be accepted between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. in The Commons.
· RE-PI DAY T-SHIRT: Order your own Pre-Pi Day T-shirt for only $10 at the cashier’s office.
· DONATE PIES: Help the cause and bring some pies. Pies can be Mrs. Smith from the freezer or off the counter from Kroger. Flavor doesn’t matter, as long as they’re ready to eat! Pie drop-off will be between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. in The Commons.
· MUCH, MUCH MORE: This is just the beginning. Pre-Pi Day at Brazosport College will also include seminars on Pi, free pie to eat, moon pies and social time.
Want to learn more about Pre-Pi Day at Brazosport College? Contact Rebecca Goins in the Student Success Center at 979.230.3134 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.